Loaded Black Bean Tofu Tacos with Green Chili
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
These flavorful tacos are loaded with black beans, tofu, vegan green chili, veggies, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, and vegan sour cream! They’re protein-packed, made with whole ingredients and crowd-pleasing!
Course: Main Dish, Tacos
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Mexican, Vegan
Keyword: vegan taco recipe, vegan tacos, vegan tofu recipe
Servings: 10 tacos
Calories: 210 kcal
For the Filling:
- 1 red bell pepper , finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper , finely diced
- 1 cup canned black beans , washed well (or cooked fro scratch)
- 7 oz. firm tofu
- 1-2 teasp cooking oil
- 1 cup Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Crumble
For the Vegan Sour Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews , soaked for 2 hours (if not using powerful blender)
- 2 teasp apple cider vinegar
- 3 teasp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teasp salt
- 7-8 tbsp water
- For the Tacos:
- 10 hard taco shells
- lettuce , chopped tomatoes, finely diced avocado , mashed and seasoned with salt
fresh cilantro or chives , chopped (optional)
- hot sauce or salsa
To Prepare the Filling:
- Remove as much water as you can from the firm tofu using paper towels to firmly press and soak up the water.
- Heat cooking oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the heated pan. Saute on medium-high heat, mixing frequently, until all of the water from the tofu is released and burned off, and the tofu just starts to turn golden in color.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Vegan Sour Cream below to save time. Turn the heat down to medium. Add in the diced red and green bell peppers and cook along with the tofu until the bell pepper is tender.
- Add in the black beans and prepared Savory Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Crumble. Mix well, season with salt to taste, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside.
To Prepare the Vegan Sour Cream:
- Add all the ingredients listed under Vegan Sour Cream above into a blender (I used a powerful blender such as a Vitamix).
- Blend on high until the contents are completely creamy and no chunks remain. Feel free to adjust the flavor if necessary with salt and/or lemon juice.
- Pour the prepared Vegan Sour Cream into a bowl and place in the fridge to cool until ready to use.
To Prepare the Tacos:
- Bake or Microwave the hard taco shells for a short time to slightly heat and cook them (~30-60 sec in the microwave).
- For each taco shell, place a layer of the filling at the bottom, top with some chopped lettuce, followed by a layer of mashed avocado, and diced tomatoes. Drizzle on some of the cooled prepared Vegan Sour Cream. Top with your favorite salsa or hot sauce!
- Tips to Prep Ahead – Make the Savory Walnut Sun-Dried Tomato Crumble and Vegan Sour Cream ahead of time and store in the fridge. You can also take it one step further and prepare the entire filling ahead of time as well.